Modern Languages Year Abroad

Undergraduate Modern Languages degree programmes require that all students should spend their third year abroad. There are three ways in which this can be done:

  1. Study abroad
  2. Work abroad 
  3. British Council English Language Assistant;

Please note that students of Chinese, Portuguese or Russian can only study on their Year Abroad. 

To start off, please either follow one of the above links or visit the What can I do? section of these webpages

It is possible to combine study and work on your Year Abroad, but you cannot do this with a British Council ELA placement. All three of the above qualify for Erasmus status if they are spent within Europe, specifically in a country participating in the Erasmus programme. Erasmus status means that you will receive an Erasmus mobility grant. Further information about Erasmus status, grants and fees can be found on the Study Abroad Outbound website.

If you go to a country outside the EU e.g. Latin America, or Canada, you will not receive an Erasmus grant. Further information about fees and status outside of Europe can be found on the Study Abroad Outbound website.

Students studying or working abroad for a year in Europe in 2017/18 are paying £1,385 to the University of Exeter as tuition fees. No fees will ever have to be paid to partner universities. For students studying outside of Europe, the fee remains £1,385 but for students working outside of Europe, this fee becomes £1,850.