There are two ethics procedures in place for SSIS staff and students:
- Staff and students in Egenis, the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, Law, Politics, the Strategy & Security Institute, and Sociology, Philosophy, Anthropology should follow the guidance on this page.
- Staff and Students in the Graduate School of Education should use the following:
Staff and Post Graduate Student projects involving interviews, questionnaires or observation of people need to be submitted for an ethical review to the Ethics Committee. The documents on this page aim to guide you through the process of preparing an ethics proposal.
You should read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Ethics Application Guidance before submitting your proposal. Please also see the example of an approved ethics application below. If you require further advice please contact your supervisor or departmental representative.
- Ethics Application Guidance
- Ethics Application Form
- Ethics Application Form with Guidance (PDF)
- Consent form - example template
- Consent & information form - example template
- Consent form (parents and guardians) - example template
- Example Ethics Application: PhD Student Project
- Example Ethics Application: Staff Project
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- UoE Insurance Office
- Information on UoE secure data storage
- Useful links
Ethics committee members
- Dr Lise Storm, Chair
- Dr Matt Lobley, Deputy Chair
- Professor Anne Barlow, Associate Dean for Research
- Professor Jonathan Githens-Mazer, Departmental Representative, Institute of Arab & Islamic Studies
- Dr Philip Durrant, Graduate School of Education
- Dr Christopher Boyle, Graudate School of Education
- Dr Stephen Skinner, Departmental Representative, Law
- Dr Jason Reifler, Departmental Representative, Politics (Autumn Term)
- Dr Alexey Bessudnov, Departmental Representative, Sociology, Philosophy, Anthropology (including Egenis)
- Mr Peter Cleasby, Lay member
Deadlines for applications to the SSIS Ethics Committee meeting can be found in the table below. Queries regarding the content of your application should be directed to your Departmental representative (above).
Students should seek advice and support from their supervisors prior to submission. Student applications MUST be read and approved by their supervisor prior to submission.
Once complete, please email your application to the following:
Staff and Post Graduate Students in: Egenis, the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, Law, Politics, the Strategy & Security Institute, and Sociology, Philosophy, Anthropology: email@example.com
Please note that the Ethics Committee accepts interim applications where urgent ethics approval is required before the next Committee meeting and there is a good justification. In such cases, please submit a request for interim approval to firstname.lastname@example.org, giving the date by which a decision is needed and a reason for your request in the covering email.
|Submission deadline||Meeting date|
|Wednesday 24th August 2016, 5pm||Wednesday 21st September 2016|
|Wednesday 2nd November 2016, 5pm||Thursday 1st December 2016|
|Wednesday 14th December 2016, 5pm||Wednesday 18th January 2017|
|Wednesday 8th February 2017, 5pm||Wednesday 8th March 2017|
|Wednesday 29th March 2017, 5pm||Wednesday 26th April 2017|
|Wednesday 24th May 2017, 5pm||Wednesday 21st June 2017|
Application outcomes are normally circulated within 2 weeks of the meeting.
For general enquiries about ethics procedures in Egenis, the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, Law, Politics, the Strategy & Security Institute, and Sociology, Philosophy, Anthropology please email email@example.com.
For general enquiries about ethics procedures in the Graduate School of Education, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.