While you're abroad

So you've arrived, your accommodation is sorted and you're just about to start at your host university. Here are the things that you need to bear in mind.

By now you should understand what kind of modules you are allowed to take, if this is not clear please refer to the What can you study? section.

Most universities allow you to change modules during the first few weeks of term. This is absolutely fine with us but you must update us with any changes you want to make so we can approve them. Please continue to follow the guidelines set out in the What can you study? section. Please note it is your responsibility to ensure that the modules meet our requirements. If they do not, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to convert the marks when you return, and therefore the work you put into the module might be in vain. If you are unsure, please check with us.

If you are an Erasmus student, you will need to complete the Changes to the Original Learning Agreement section of the Erasmus Learning Agreement. This can be quite complicated so we will send you instructions on how to do this at the start of term.

If you are studying at a non-European university, you will need to complete (and keep updated) a Module Record Form so we can approve your modules. We will have sent you this via email but do let us know if you need another copy.

How are you assessed?

While you're abroad you will be enrolled on HUM3999 (Streatham students) or HUC3005 (Penryn students). Please click on the relevant link below, which will lead you to the module description:

HUM3999 Year Abroad

HUC3005 Year Abroad 

For this module, it is your responsibility to ensure that we receive a transcript from your host university. As a suggestion, we recommend you arrange this before you return to the UK as it will save you a lot of time and hassle. Please ensure that the transcripts are legible and all the modules you have taken are accredited. 

You will have to complete a summative assignment, which is a 3500-word Learning Log. We recommend that you work on this throughout the Year Abroad and you will also be able to receive formative feedback on three separate 500-word essays during the year. For more information about this, please see the HUM3999/HUC3005 ELE page.

How do we convert your host university credits?

Each university has a different way of assessing students. To find out how the College of Humanities convert your host university grades into Exeter marks, please see the Conversion of Study Abroad Marks in the Assessment and Feedback section of the College Taught Handbook

More information

For the most up-to-date information on the assessment of the Humanities Study Abroad modules, please see the HUM3999/HUC3005 ELE Page.


For information on mitigation applications for academic work affected whilst on your Humanities Study Abroad placement, please see the HUM3999/HUC3005 ELE Page.


Although we might seem a long way away, your welfare and wellbeing are still very important to us. I am sure you are aware that your time abroad will have its low points as well as its highs. This is entirely normal and, as in life, you might need some additional support to help you. As such, please remember that not only do you have the support network of your host university, but you also have access to the same services here at Exeter as those not studying abroad, such as the Wellbeing team or the Guild Advice Unit.

In addition, there are other support networks available that you might want to look into. You might want to see if your host university has a society for international students, or there might be a Facebook group for other students on Study Abroad. 

What's more, we in the Study Abroad team are only a phone call or email away so please do not hesitate to get in touch. We are a friendly bunch and we want to be sure you enjoy your time abroad as much as possible, so if we can do anything to help, we will try our best.


It is important that you familiarise yourself with the emergency procedures in your host country and, in particular, the emergency service numbers and how you would make an emergency call if in a different language. If you are not sure, it is important that you contact your host university International Office to find out how.

If you need to contact your local embassy, it might be worth noting the contact details in advance. For a list of British consulates and embassies, please see here.

During Your Time Abroad

Beginning of Study Abroad All students Activity Return University Documentation Arrow Down Arrow Up

Erasmus students: You need to ensure you have returned your signed and stamped Learning Agreement to outbound@exeter.ac.uk back in Exeter. This includes any changes you have made upon arrival, using the Changes to the Original Learning Agreement section.

Other Study Abroad students: You need to ensure you have sent the Outbound team an updated Module Record Form evidencing the modules which you have enrolled on. 

Duration of Study Abroad All Activity Gaining University Credits Arrow Down Arrow Up

You must attend and pass courses at your university abroad. Please see the What Can You Study? section and the Assessment section on this page.

Duration of Study Abroad HUM3999 students Deadline Completion and Submission of Learning Log Assignment  

If you are studying abroad for a full year, you are required to complete and individually submit (non-compulsory) 3 x 500 word reports. These 3 reports compose the first part of Learning Log assignment, and the deadlines are spread out throughout the academic year. You can email these to us during the year and we will pass them on to your department's HUM3999 marker, who will be able to give you formative feedback.

At the end of the year, you are also required to complete a compulsory summative 3,500 word essay as part of your Learning Log. This must be submitted via BART at the beginning of September of your final year. More information on the Learning Log and the deadlines can be found on the HUM3999/HUC3005 ELE page.  

End of Study Abroad Erasmus students Deadline Erasmus Paperwork Arrow Down

On leaving your university abroad, you need to return your Erasmus Learning Agreement Recognition Document to outbound@exeter.ac.uk signed by the Erasmus coordinator and with updated placement dates.

End of Study Abroad All Deadline Transcript of Studies Arrow Down Arrow Up

Before you leave your university abroad, you need to arrange for them to send a Transcript of Studies (list of modules taken, credit value and marks) to the Outbound team. We will accept hard copies or pdf versions sent via email.

Please note that if we do not receive any transcript, then we cannot convert your grades, which will be detrimental to your final Study Abroad grade.