Change of Circumstances


Change of Programme


If you are thinking that you might like to change your current programme of study, please first meet with your personal tutor and/or the Director of Education to discuss your decision:

Directors of Education (DofE):

Mathematics:  Tim Jupp, Gihan Marasingha, Pete Ashwin 

Computer Science: David Wakeling

Engineering: Sean Carroll 

If you agree you would like to change programme, please email or visit the Harrison Hub so that a Change of Programme form can be generated. Once you have completed the relevant sections, please return the form to the Harrison Hub team for processing. 

 Please note: students do not have an automatic right to change degree programme once they have come to the University. Transfer possibilities do become more limited as time passes due to the specialist nature of modules in the latter stages of the programme.


First year UG students

If you are an undergraduate student in your first year of study and you wish to transfer between disciplines, then you must email the Admissions Office ( to obtain the correct form. You will also need to contact Admissions if you are applying to re-start your first year on a new programme of study.

If you wish to change programmes when progressing to stage 2 then you should contact your Hub Team.


Non-first year UG students

If you wish to change your programme of study and are in the second year of the programme (or above) then, follow the directions above and complete a Change of Programme Form. This form must then be signed by the Director of Education for the releasing and accepting disciplines and then returned to either:

  • Harrison Hub  (Exeter students);
  • Registry, Peter Lanyon Building, Penryn (CSM students only).

If you feel that the programme you are on does not offer you sufficient flexibility to study a range of subjects, the University offers a Flexible Combined Honours degree which it may be possible for you to transfer onto.


Postgraduate taught students

The scope for transfer is very limited, and must be made at the start of the programme, with full consultation with the Programme Lead and the Director of Education.

If you are considering making an application to change, you should first discuss the matter with your Personal Tutor.


Interrupting your studies

An interruption enables students to effectively put their study on hold for up to a year in the first instance (or for as little as a month). Students who need to interrupt their studies must first discuss the situation with their Personal Tutor. If an interruption is agreed as the best course of action, students should then complete the online interruption form via SID online.

The date which you choose to interrupt your studies can have important financial and academic implications. We would therefore strongly recommend that you consult with the Student Guild Advice Unit before completing an Interruption Form.

For further information about interrupting please visit the following page.

Please refer to the University TQA Manual for the policy for interruption and withdrawal of taught students.

Withdrawing from your studies

Students thinking about withdrawing must speak to their Personal Tutor as soon as possible. There are many other options available to students, however, if none of these are appropriate, then students should contact their Student Services Office (via SID online) in order to access and complete a withdrawal form. Students should also ensure that they consult the Student Finance Office or the Student Guild Advice Unit (Exeter Campuses)/ FXU Advice Service (Cornwall Campuses) to discuss any implications this may have on their funding.

If students have passed assessments in certain modules it is possible to use the credits in accredited prior learning agreements with the University of Exeter or other universities in the future. This may allow students to be granted exemptions in a programme. Please note however that Exeter credits are only valid for this purpose for five years after leaving.

For further information about withdrawing please visit the following page.

Please refer to the University TQA Manual for the policy for interruption and withdrawal of taught students.